Wild Game Recipe of the Month
Waterfowl Meatballs with Yogurt Sauce
- Ground duck or goose mixed with pork fat/trimmings at a 3:1 fowl to pork ratio
- Add egg and bread crumbs to preferred consistency
- Add fresh, minced garlic and onion
- Season meatball mix with cumin, paprika, smoked paprika (if available), salt, pepper, turmeric, and ground coriander
- Form meat into balls of preferred size
- For cooking, I used an air fryer which worked really well, but you can also grill them, or bake them in a conventional oven (I suggest searing them in a pan prior to putting them in the oven)
- Cook approximately 15 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165° F.
- Combine plain Greek yogurt with sour cream at a 2:1 yogurt to sour cream ratio
- Add lemon juice (start with a little, then taste until you get the preferred lemon flavor)
- Add fresh, minced mint and season with salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped cilantro and/or mint leaves add nice flavor and work well as a garnish
- As photographed, the meatballs can be paired with freekah (cracked wheat), or really any other grain you would like such as rice, quinoa, cous cous, etc.
- Adding heat is a nice component; for people who like it spicy, add a garnish of Sriracha sauce
*Note: I do not measure when I cook, so the recipe is more of a item list and assumes that you have some experience cooking; feel free to email me for more information on any of the recipes seen here.